Downloading pictures and 3D models form contests

3 Replies | 3,137 Views
Sava
I tried to download a model but it is impossible. It seems that the contest holder owns all the designs posted. And owns it only for him. May be that is good for contest holders but is a little unpleasant for designers. The man with the money gets all and the participants gets nothing - they can't even look at the other participants model except the preview picture. That is no good for me. 
MacKenzie Brown
Hey Sava,

Please note that clients are required to award a prize to each freelancer that submitted a design entry if the client plans to commercialize the work. For example, a client would award 3 prizes if there are 3 freelancers with design entries they plan to use. 

Since most contests include pre-existing client IP (different from logo contests, etc.),  it's unlikely a client would agree to launch a design contest if they were required to release all unused designs to 3rd parties for commercial use.

Let me know if that clarifies your question or if you have questions that we haven't covered in the Designer help center.

Cheers,
MacKenzie
Sava
Of course a client would agree to launch a design contest - he gets what he has chosen and there is no logic to own all other solutions. They must be freed, if not for common use, at last for the participants which did not make it well. And that will be some kind of compensation for them - if they don't earn money, they will learn something from each other - that will be their award for participation. This will be a good attitude towards designers and I think will not affect the willing of clients to launch a contests.
MacKenzie Brown
Hey Sava, 

Appreciate your patience with the followup.

Corporate sponsorship for design projects seems to be the best project candidates for shared design work and design challenges. Lunchforth/GrabCAD ran various projects with larger companies/organizations that were open (i.e. HP Mars, NASA, GE Innovation, Stratasys, etc.).  In most cases, the projects weren't intended to be commercialized and were mainly for PR, pushing professionals to try new software, etc.

When it's an individual/small business that comes in with a novel concept/idea, wants anticipates filing a patent (confidentiality), and needs to recoup an investment (i.e. design, manufacturing, legal, marketing, distribution, etc.), the engineering and CAD contests may be a difficult sell for prospects. If a designs wind up in the public domain, it may invalidate patent applications, or make a product less distinctive before it's hitting the shelves (or crowdfunding sites), which is why contests typically are closed in nature.

Giving value back to the CAD designers/engineers that participant on the platform is super important to me personally. At the moment, we're working hard on developing an open 3D CAD library that allows community members to easily share their innovative 3D designs/CAD files, embed work, learn new skills, and receive peer feedback.  Hopefully, it contributes to everyone's continued development.

Added a screenshot of the upload page below if you're interested in commenting Ideally, it'll have a beta launch soon :)

In order to post an answer, you need to .