An electrical designer focused on producing a safe, functional design, on budget, every time. I enjoy learning new concepts and skills to further the boundaries of conventional engineering and drafting practices.
Daily Responsibilities and activities include:
- Meeting with client representatives to review the electrical design
- Mentoring junior drafters
- Liasing with engineers and company principals
- Design in accordance with regional standards such as AS and NEC design practices in the area of electrical engineering, eg.AS/NZ3000 and 3008, and Mines WA regulations
- Interpret designs from other disciplines (mechanical, structural, etc) especially piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&IDs)
- Calculate maximum demand for electrical installations
- Design substation equipment requirements and layouts
- Design circuits for equipment including motor control centres, motor starters (DOL, VSD, etc), PLC controls, transformer protection and substation inter-tripping
- Review vendor equipment
- Design electrical systems to interface with vendor equipment
- Design cable ladder routing throughout industrial process plants using both 3D and 2D CAD software to complete a thorough and easily understood set of construction drawings
- Calculate lighting requirements for industrial installations using lighting modeling software
- Perform cable sizing calculations for various voltages including HV, LV and control systems, both AC and DC.
- Select and specify equipment and components for electrical installations and switchboard manufacture
- Use CAD software to prepare engineering drawings.
- Prepare electrical design drawings for client projects including single lines, motor starter and PLC schematics, block diagrams, cable schedules, terminations, layouts and panel arrangements.
- Create and manage drafting man hour budgets and progress reports and present these plans to principals and clients on a regular basis.