• Exploring diverse career options that will maximize use of my abilities and experience.
• 25 years of diverse civil engineering experience in public and private sectors.
• Focus in transportation studies and preliminary engineering.
• Free-thinking, pragmatic approach to problem solving.
• Professional engineer licensed in Texas.
City of Waco
Jun 2016 –
3 yrs Waco, TX, USA
Reviewed the following for vehicular and pedestrian traffic-related requirements and concerns:
• commercial site plans
• residential subdivision plans
• municipal road and utility plans
• maps and plats
• zoning changes, Board of Adjustment variances, and right of way abandonments
Resolved development plan issues in a collaborative manner.
Reviewed and processed permit applications for wireless network node (WNN) installations.
Reviewed and processed citizen and developer requests for street lights.
Addressed questions and concerns of citizens, developers, engineers, architects, surveyors, and construction contractors.
Researched and wrote text for:
• Traffic Impact Analysis Guidelines
• Street Lighting Guidelines
• Waco Development Guide
• Facility in Right of Way permit application (for WNN), instructions, and Process Guide
• construction standard details
• responses to frequently asked questions
Senior Transportation Engineer
New Zealand Transport Agency
Jul 2008 –
1 yrs 7 mos Auckland, New Zealand
Managed the Manukau to Pokeno Transport Corridor Study on increasing capacity of the 20-mile multi-modal corridor, which is centered along the SH1 motorway in the Auckland Region.
• With assistance of the agency’s transport planning manager, developed terms of reference (ToR) (project charter), scope, schedule, budget, project management plan (PMP), request for tender (RFT)/(request for proposal (RFP)), and responses to requests for information (RFIs).
• Served on tender (proposal) selection panel.
• Tracked work progress of an engineering firm. Conducted monthly work status meetings.
• Reviewed and approved invoices. Reviewed deliverables.
• Presented study updates, and addressed questions and concerns, at monthly meetings with representatives of local government agencies.
• Chaired study workshops with local government and mass transit agencies.
Developed ToR, PMP, and RFT for the Cape Reinga to Whangarei SH1/SH10 Strategic Study on improving safety along 229 miles of 2-lane rural highways in the Northland Region.
Performed a correlation study on crash frequencies and vehicle lane widths of the 0.6-mile 8-lane Auckland Harbour Bridge. Study results supported denying requests to add bike lanes.
Senior Transportation Engineer
Oct 1997 –
7 yrs 11 mos Austin, TX, USA
Assisted in program management of the Texas Department of Transportation (TxDOT) location study for the 650-mile I-69/Trans-Texas Corridor. The corridor would have up to 1,200-foot-wide portions to accommodate four roadways, six rail lines, and a multi-use utility zone. Assisted in:
• developing RFPs
• preparing responses to RFIs
• tracking budgets
• developing deliverables manual
• applying Quantm software
• preparing construction cost estimates
• developing meeting exhibits
• addressing questions and concerns at public scoping meetings
• reviewing deliverables
Assistant project manager for writing the TxDOT Project Development Process Manual as well as for rewriting the TxDOT Right of Way Manual and TxDOT Utility Manual.
• Assisted in developing and managing scopes, schedules, and budgets.
• Reviewed deliverables from PB employees and more than 30 contracted authors.
• Edited more than 1,100 pages of text. Wrote new text.
• Performed research via document review and communication with subject matter specialists.
• Assisted in developing Project Development Process Flowchart and Right of Way Parcel Acquisition Process Flowchart.
• Participated in text review meetings with representatives of TxDOT divisions and districts as well as the Federal Highway Administration.
Performed cost-benefit analysis of bridge types and retaining wall types, and performed level of service analysis of lane and shoulder width combinations, for a feasibility study on elevating and widening 3 miles of the JFK Causeway in Corpus Christi.
Assisted in preparing proposals and proposal interview exhibits for TxDOT projects. Participated in proposal interviews.
Texas Department of Transportation - Austin District
Mar 1993 –
4 yrs 1 mos Austin, TX, USA
For realignment and widening projects (3 miles of urban RM 2244, 2 miles of urban Anderson Mill Road, and 14 miles of rural FM 973), performed:
• communication with potentially impacted property owners
• development and analysis of route alignment and roadway typical section alternatives
• determination of survey data collection needs
• engineering assessments for feasibility studies and environmental documents
• technical presentations at stakeholder and local government meetings as well as TxDOT public information meetings and public hearings
• level of service analysis
• geometric schematic design
• preliminary hydrological studies
• preliminary hydraulic studies
• bridge and drainage structure planning
• preliminary pavement design
• utilities relocation assessment
• right of way needs assessment
• construction cost estimation
• meeting exhibits preparation
Assisted in developing design concepts for increasing capacity of the severely congested 3-mile segment of Interstate Highway 35 in downtown Austin. Concepts included a collector-distributor system and a reversible-flow high-occupancy vehicle lane.
Managed a land surveying services evergreen contract.
Mead & Hunt
Jul 1989 –
3 yrs 8 mos Middleton, WI, USA
For a feasibility study on realigning and widening 3 miles of rural highway STH 21:
• Developed and analyzed route alignment and roadway typical section alternatives.
• Assessed right of way needs.
• Prepared construction cost estimates.
• Prepared engineering assessment.
• Prepared meeting exhibits and handouts.
Prepared right of way maps and legal land descriptions for highway projects.
Assisted in managing engineering work by coworkers on the first phase of a 397-lot subdivision.
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Bachelor of Science
1982 – 1985
The University Of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
1980 – 1982
Licenses & Certifications
Texas Board of Professional Engineers
Jun 1993 –